Why Can't Agents Just Say What They Mean?

Friday, October 28, 2011

If you've ever gotten back a form response to a query with politely worded "not for me" kinds of answers, you may have wondered this yourself. It's a common complaint - How is someone supposed to improve if no one tells them what is and isn't working?

Well, if this sounds like you, or if you're simply in the mood for some honest query feedback, then let me point you in the right direction.

My agent, Super-Suzie, is having a contest to celebrate settling in at Nancy Coffey.

Here are the details:



Can you handle the truth?

Many writers want to know what an agent is really thinking when they pass on a query, right? You want the truth...but can you handle the truth? Well next week I will respond to the queries I receive in complete honesty. You may see something as simple as "Not bad, but just not for me." or "I don't represent legal thrillers." OR you may see something like "I stopped reading when you mentioned that the mailman was a vampire space zombie who has come to deliver a message of PAIN. Because come on...seriously?"

So, if you want the truth, query me next Tuesday morning, between 9-10 am EST. Read on for the rules.

The rules and whatnot are on Suzie's Confessions blog, so if you want to participate, pop on over there and find out what you need to do.

This is only valid for one short hour on Tuesday, so make sure you've got everything ready to go when the window opens.

Good luck!

5 Chiming In:

Terry Towery said...

Ha. I'm not sure I can HANDLE the truth! ;)

Brent Wescott said...

This sounds pretty cool. Thanks for posting it.

Michael Seese said...

It's a VERY generous offer. But for what it's worth, those of us with day jobs who can't access personal email during business hours are locked out.

Sorry to complain. I just wanted to point it out.

Stephanie Thornton said...

What a fabulous contest--I've been on hiatus and might have missed it if you hadn't posted it. You've definitely got a super-star agent!

Kristy Shen said...

We are so entering this contest. Thanks to your query, we've already got bites, but it never hurts to get more feedback :) That and everyone knows how much Suzie rocks!

Post a Comment