Where they Love Him Most of All

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

“And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all.”

~ Maurice Sendak; Where the Wild Things Are



In case you haven't heard, we lost someone special today. Maurice Sendak, author of Where the Wild Things Are has passed away at the age of 83.

Even though he was primarily a children's author, he didn't believe in talking down to kids - something I think more people should take a stab at. He wrote messy books about misbehaving children who lived in worlds where everything wasn't always sorted and shining by the time supper was served because that's the reality kids face every day. He didn't scare kids with his stories, but he didn't lie to them or seek to protect them into incapability.

In his own words: “You cannot write for children. They're much too complicated. You can only write books that are of interest to them. ”

I can't help but imagine Maurice arriving in heaven to hear a trumpet and a might cry of "And now.... let the wild rumpus start!" as a procession leads him through the gates.

2 Chiming In:

Libby said...

Where the Wild Things Are was one of my absolute favorites.

Dracula said...

I'd like to think he's on his island with the monsters.

By the way, Josin, I'm a long-time lurker (and AW lurker, as well) who's recently decided to come out of my shell and comment. I hope you don't mind my desire to remain anonymous, though. Quite honestly, I just feel more comfortable that way. I'm an author with an agent shopping around a YA sci-fi novel, but I'm also a self-publishing experimenter and weirdness affectionado.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your comments section. I just wanted to introduce myself real quick. Very nice to make your acquaintance!

Post a Comment